All UCSB Mechanical Engineering seniors will gain hands-on experience via the ME Capstone Project (ME189). Sample projects from recent years include:
- Microfluidic interface bonding tool
- Human-powered concrete mixer sponsored by Engineers Without Borders
- Autonomous data-collection oceanographic research vessel
- Hydrocephalus shunt protection device sponsored by Medtronic
- Helmet-mounted thermal imager with wifi stream for firefighters sponsored by FLIR
- Magnetic tweetzers with oscillating field strength
Students work in teams under the direction of a faculty advisor to tackle an engineering design project. Engineering communication, such as reports and oral presentations are covered. We emphasize practical, hands-on experience, and integrate analytical and design skills acquired in companion senior-level core courses.
Come check out what our ME students have created this year at the ME Capstone Design Fair and Showcase! We would like to thank Northrop Grumman and all of our sponsors for making this program possible.
For more information, please contact: