Changing Your Major to Mechanical Engineering
Here are step-by-step instructions for changing your major to Mechanical Engineering at UCSB:
- All students interested in changing into Mechanical Engineering, must meet with the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Advisor during fall quarter to go over the process and the requirements. You may either email, email@example.com, or stop by her office, Engr II, Room 2355A. No appointment is necessary but her walk in hours are M-F 9-11:30 and 1:30-3:30.
- Current UCSB students in a non-engineering major, as well as students wishing to change from one engineering major to Mechanical Engineering, must complete a pre-defined set of core coursework: Change of Major Coursework
- Students who have completed more than 105 units will not be considered for a change of major/change of college in engineering.
- Before petitioning for a change of major to mechanical engineering, a minimum of six (6) of the following core courses or their UC equivalents must be completed: Math 3A-B; Math 4A-B; Math 6A-B; Physics 1-2; ME 14-15 (one of the 6 courses must include ME 14). Please view the form Change of Major Coursework to see the GPA calculations.
- Students must maintain at least a 3.2 core GPA to remain eligible to apply to the change of major.
- Acceptance into the major will be based on UC grade point averages*, applicable courses completed, and available space.
- Students may only apply for the change of major at the end of fall quarter of their second year. Only eligible students will be considered, but there are no gurantees of acceptance.
*The calculation of the core course GPA will be based on all classes completed from the core list at the time of applying.
Changing Out of the Mechanical Engineering Major
If you are a current mechanical engineering student wishing to change to another engineering major, consult the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office.
College of Engineering - Changing your major general information.
Engineering II, Room 2355A