Changing Your Major to Mechanical Engineering
Here are step-by-step instructions for changing your major to Mechanical Engineering at UCSB:
- All students interested in changing into Mechanical Engineering, must meet with Katelynn Ellison, the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Advisor, during fall quarter to go over the process and the requirements. You may either email her, firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by her office, Engr II, Room 2355A. No appointment is necessary but her walk in hours are M-F 9-11:30 and 1:30-3:30.
- Current UCSB students in a non-engineering major, as well as students wishing to change from one engineering major to Mechanical Engineering, must complete a pre-defined set of coursework (see below).
- Students who have completed more than 105 units will not be considered for a change of major/change of college in engineering.
- Before petitioning for a change of major to mechanical engineering, a minimum of six (6) of the following core courses or their UC equivalents must be completed: Math 3A-B; Math 4A-B; Math 6A-B; Physics 1-2; ME 14-15 (one of the 6 courses must include ME 14). Please the form Change of Major and Change of College to see the GPA calculations.
- Acceptance into the major will be based on UC grade point averages*, applicable courses completed, and available space.
*The calculation of the core course GPA will be based on all classes completed from this list at the time of petitioning.
Changing Out of the Mechanical Engineering Major
If you are a current mechanical engineering student wishing to change to another engineering major, consult the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office.
College of Engineering - Changing your major general information.
Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Advisor
Engineering II, Room 2355A