Our alumni and friends provide essential support for teaching programs and research enterprise. Mechanical Engineering and all departments of the College of Engineering benefit greatly from annual unrestricted support as well as major gifts designated for special purposes. Your generosity plays a critical role in our ability to fulfill our mission and is truly appreciated.
Your generous gift will:
- Create top-notch learning programs for undergraduates.
- Support the best and brightest graduate students in their pursuit of a Ph.D. degree.
- Bring distinguished lecturers to campus to the benefit of both faculty and students.
- Outfit and equip laboratories where faculty and students of all levels can interact.
- Facilitate cutting edge research efforts that move both technology and engineering forward.
- Attract and hire the most competitively recruited engineers at every stage of their careers.
Ways to Give
Because unrestricted gifts are flexible funding, they are of greatest use to the College and our Departments. Unrestricted funds support the highest priority needs as established by the department chair. They allow us to seize new opportunities that emerge, as well as support the existing outstanding students, faculty, programs and research.
Student Scholarships & Fellowships
Education is at the core of our mission, and your support of our outstanding undergraduates and graduates is instrumental to our ability to educate the next generation of leaders. The strength of our college and departments is directly linked to financial support of our efforts to recruit and retain the very best scholars. The future endeavors of UCSB Engineering graduates will have a profound impact on society.
Undergraduate scholarship support allows us to recognize outstanding undergraduate students for their excellence in course work and research. Contributions at any level are greatly appreciated and allow us to honor exceptional students within our departments.
- Named Endowed Scholarship: A gift of $20,000 or more establishes a permanent named scholarship.
- Named Scholarship Award: A gift of $1,000 or more establishes a one-year named award.
Graduate fellowship support is a high priority of the College’s departments as it enables us to compete with the best universities in the nation to attract top scholars.
- Named Endowed Fellowship: A gift of $200,000 or more establishes a permanent named fellowship.
- Named Quarter Fellowship: A gift of $10,000 will fully support a graduate student for one-quarter of their career. This type of fellowship is extremely helpful for graduate students as it allows them to take a quarter off from teaching and focus solely on their research and dissertation.
- Named Full-Year Fellowship: A gift of $50,000 or more fully supports a graduate student for one-year of their career.
- Named Fellowship Award: A gift of $5,000 or more establishes a one-year named award which allows the Department to offer supplemental incentive (top-off) support for the recruitment or retention of an outstanding graduate student.
Endowed Chairs honor, encourage, and support the professors whose brilliant minds and commitment to education and research promote the University’s mission. An endowed chair is the most significant honor the University can offer to faculty, by way of a donor’s generosity. Holders of endowed chairs represent the most distinguished scholars who are selected for brilliant scholarship, inspirational teaching, and leadership. An endowed chair is a permanent endowment created by a philanthropic gift that supports the teaching and research of the scholar.
- Endowed Chairs: A gift of $500,000 or more will support the creation of a new endowed chair and will provide a legacy for the donor on the UC Santa Barbara campus.
- Named Visiting Professorships: Departments in the College of Engineering are seeking gifts to establish Distinguished Visiting Professorships. These funds allow us to bring leading academics and successful alumni to campus for an extended period of time (6 months to 1 year) for research collaborations and special lectures for the campus community.
Lecture series provide the College and our departments with the opportunity to bring internationally recognized scholars to UC Santa Barbara. The visiting scholars are invited to participate with faculty and students within the Department through a formal lecture presented to the campus and local community, presentations in undergraduate and graduate level classes, and informal, small group discussions. Lecture series enable the Department to provide an exceptional learning environment for students that augments the general curriculum while raising the profile of UCSB Engineering by attracting preeminent scholars in a particular field. These lectures are made possibly by the generosity of our donors and the funds allow us to attract distinguished scholars to our campus and to maximize the impact of their visit to UC Santa Barbara.
- Named Endowed Lecture Series: A gift of $20,000 or more establishes a permanent named lecture that can occur annually.
- Named Lecture: A gift of $5,000 will support the expenses related to one lecture and can be named for the generosity of the donor.
How to Give
Please contact Beth Ptalis Hough, Development Services Manager for Engineering, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 893-5198 if you have any questions or requests about giving.
Unrestricted gifts to the department can be made by credit card through our online giving form. Please select “Mechanical Engineering” from the drop-down menu.
To make a gift by mail (via check or credit card) or to designate your gift to a specific purpose, please fill out the downloadable form and return to:
Beth Ptalis Hough
Engineering and the Sciences Development
UC Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6035
You may also make a credit card gift by phone. Contact Beth Ptalis Hough at (805) 893-5198.
Many employers sponsor corporate matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions that their employees or spouses make. Matching gift programs can double or possibly triple your donation. Please obtain your company’s matching gift form and return it with your contribution.
Wire Transfers or Securities (Stock)
For information about making a contribution via wire transfer or gifts of securities, please contact Beth Ptalis Hough at (805) 893-5198.
Planned Giving/Estate Gifts
For information about making a gift through planned giving vehicles such as charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, gift annuities, bequests, or other vehicles please visit UC Santa Barbara’s Planned Giving website.