Software used in Mechanical Engineering
COMSOL is a cross-platform finite element analysis, solver and multiphysics simulation software.
- COMSOL for academic non-research use is offered in the ECI labs only
- COMSOL for research is part of a shared license pool
Wolfram Mathematica software: Is a campus site license covering all Faculty, Staff, and Students at UCSB. More information is available here: https://software.ucsb.edu/info/mathematica
Matlab is a campus license covering all Faculty, Staff, and Students at UCSB. More information is available here: https://software.ucsb.edu/info/matlab
National Instruments Labview
Labview is a system-design platform and development environment for a visual programming language from National Instruments.
- Labview academic non-research use is only offered in the ECI labs and the Mechanical Engineering Instructional labs
- Labview for research is not covered by the academic license.
- For quotes or contact here is your best source: https://www.ni.com/en-us/contact-us.html
- For the Pro version, each research group in our department has to purchase their own license if they are going to use it for research. It is heavily discounted to about $800-900. https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/labview/select-edition.html
SolidWorks is CAD and solid modeling software in use within the department that runs on Windows.
Full network license
The full network licensed version is only available for University owned desktop computer on campus within the Mechanical Engineering Department as well as in the ECI Labs remotely for instruction.
Solidworks Student Version
As an extension of the SolidWorks educational license we are providing you access to the SolidWorks Student Version for student use at home as well as for laptop users. This software is provided as an educational resource without support. Click here to access Solidworks 2019*
- System Requirements - Solidworks only runs on Microsoft Windows
- Installation guides for SolidWorks student products
- SolidWorks web help
* Solidworks 2019 Student versions distributed is CAD only with a wartermark. We obtained more activations and will reevaluate the move to 2020 in the Winter quarter.