- UCSB Alumni Association. Join the mailing list of the alumni association and designate that you are a graduate of Mechanical Engineering.
- LinkedIn. Join thousands of fellow alumni in the College of Engineering group and Department of Mechanical Engineering subgroup.
- Social Media. Find recent research news, shared articles, big announcements, and more from the College of Engineering. + Twitter. + Facebook.
- Email News. Receive monthly news by email from the College of Engineering.
Our Past and Our Future
UCSB Mechanical Engineering alumni are highly talented, successful, driven, and innovative professionals in a number of industries across the globe. You are an important part of the community of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, the College of Engineering, and UCSB. As alumni, our graduates support the department in a number of ways, including mentoring current students, contributing to scholarships and other funds, and getting involved with Department and College leadership. We welcome your involvement and hope you’ll stay connected.
- Hire Gauchos! Mechanical Engineering students need internships and jobs. Cultivate talent and work with young engineers.
- Mentor Students: Contact us to be a guest speaker, mentor, or lecturer. We need your talent, experience, and enthusiasm.
- Capstone Guidance: Provide guidance to undergraduate students as a mentor or guest for the Senior Capstone Projects.
- Research: Contact us if you are interesting in a research partnership with Mechanical Engineering.
- Nominate: Send us your nominations for the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Donate. Make an investment in the Department toward scholarships, fellowships, and towards recruiting and retaining the best and brightest minds in Mechanical Engineering.
Mechanical Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award
The Distinguished Alumni Award recognizes BS, MS, or PhD Alumni of the UCSB Mechanical Engineering Department who have made sustained exemplary contributions in their professional field and/or who have distinguished themselves for their dedicated service and leadership.
Nominations may be submitted by alumni, faculty, staff and members of the Industrial Advisory Board. Nominations are sought annually via an email to all potential nominators in the spring and with a deadline for receipt during late summer. The nomination consists of a 1-page bio-sketch and a paragraph with the nomination rationale. Nominations are treated confidentially. Nomination packages for individuals not selected in a given year are retained for consideration in the following year, and for individuals not selected in a given year are retained for consideration in the following year, and nominators are contacted to obtain updated information as appropriate.
Please email nominations (1-page biosketch and rationale paragraph) for the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Award to Professor Carl Meinhart, chair of the selection committee.
The department chair establishes a yearly ME Awards Committee, with representative from the faculty, the Industrial Advisory Board and previous awardees. The ME Awards Committee will select one or two award recipients each year.
The award will be presented in conjunction with a departmental activity, ideally during the Convocation Event in early October. The award recipient will be invited to attend and will receive a certificate.
Inaugural Class - 2014
The inaugural class was inducted during the Department’s 50th Anniversary Celebration on October 25, 2014, where the first three awardees were invited as keynote speakers.
- Mihailo Jovanovic - In recognition of outstanding research contributions to fluid dynamics, control and optimization
- Kevin Ness - In recognition for outstanding contributions to microfluidics and PCR
- Stephen Neushul - In recognition for outstanding contributions to non-destructive testing and for the development of X-Ray scanning systems
2015 Alumni Award
Presented as part of our Graduate Convocation ceremonies on October 7th, 2015, where the award winner was a keynote speaker.
- Niklas Karlsson - In recognition of outstanding application of system engineering principles to the field of online advertising