- When selecting hardware or network connected devices for your use within the department the following are strongly recommended.
- Generally the software you wish to use will direct which hardware to purchase as well as the operating system. A list of the most common software found in the department is available here
- Minimum 500gb solid state drive
- 16gb RAM
- i5 processor
- Desktops 4-5yrs
- Laptops 3-4yrs
Here are a few things to know before ordering a printer:
- If you are planning on ordering any printer you plan want to use on the wired network please contact support first to make sure it has a functional firewall, ethernet and current model HP.
- Wireless only printers with no Ethernet will not work here at UCSB since the UCSB wireless is for mobile devices. These printers are for a home office where you are in control of the wifi which is not supported by the network plociies in place.
HP brand Laserjet printers - Here is why: https://doc.engr.ucsb.edu/display/EPK/Printers
All in one
Ink Jet Printers
BACKING UP your DATA
Anyone associated with UCSB with an active netID has access to bot BOX or Google drive as a means to backup their data for free.
- BOX Drive - Box drive functions as a cloud drive for you to copy files to or from mobile devices, Macs, and Windows. Existing accounts that have more than 10gb are unaffected but there is still a 15gb file size maximum. As of 2020 new Box accounts are limited to 10gb of total data so if more space is needed they should look at using Google.
- Google Backup & Sync - Syncs files to your computer using space as well as you can configure it to just work as a backup with selected folders.
- Google File Stream - Functions as a cloud drive for you to copy files to or from Macs and Windows. Google limits the maximum mount of data to you can upload in a 24hr period to 745gb.
- Rclone - Available for Linux users that wish to use BOX (https://rclone.org/box/) or Google (https://rclone.org/drive/) that lack support from their OS to connect to either service.