- When selecting hardware or network connected devices for your use within the department the following are strongly recommended.
- Generally the software you wish to use will direct which hardware to purchase as well as the operating system. A list of the most common software found in the department is available here
- Minimum 500gb solid state drive
- 16gb RAM
- i5 processor
- Desktops 4-5yrs
- Laptops 3-4yrs
Here are a few things to know before ordering a printer:
- If you are planning on ordering any printer you plan want to use on the wired network please contact support first to make sure it has a functional firewall, ethernet and current model HP.
- Wireless only printers with no Ethernet will not work here at UCSB since the UCSB wireless is for mobile devices. These printers are for a home office where you are in control of the wifi which is not supported by the network plociies in place.
HP brand Laserjet printers - Here is why: https://doc.engr.ucsb.edu/display/EPK/Printers
All in one
Ink Jet Printers
BACKING UP your DATA
Anyone associated with UCSB with an active netID has access to bot BOX or Google drive as a means to backup their data for free.
- BOX Drive - Box drive functions as a cloud drive for you to copy files to or from mobile devices, Macs, and Windows. BOX has unlimited storage but they limit the maximum file size you can upload to 15gb.
- Google Backup & Sync - Syncs files to your computer using space as well as you can configure it to just work as a backup with selected folders.
- Google File Stream - Functions as a cloud drive for you to copy files to or from Macs and Windows. Google limits the maximum mount of data to you can upload in a 24hr period to 745gb.
- Rclone - Available for Linux users that wish to use BOX (https://rclone.org/box/) or Google (https://rclone.org/drive/) that lack support from their OS to connect to either service.