All computers printers and other network connected devices will need to be registered to be on the wired network.
Please review these computer security and maintenance best practices before submitting:
- Updated OS: Ensure that your Operating System and software are updated on a regular basis.
- Strong Passwords: Please protect all accounts on your computer with strong passwords.
- Protected Shares: Ensure that any shares on your computer are protected.
- Firewall: Run personal firewall software on your computer and only open network ports if necessary. Printers or other internet devices like VOIP phones need to have a built in firewall.
- Network Caution: Only run network services if necessary (ssh, smb, Windows file sharing, etc.).
- Anti-Virus Software: Users should run anti-virus software regularly. We have a volume purchase for Sophos Anti-Virus available for UC owned Macs. Windows 10 computers have a built in antivirus which is sufficient.
- Software Installation: All software purchases and installations are the responsibility of the end user and not that of the Department IT Staff.
- Backup Your Data: Ensure that you backup critical data on your personal computer. It is the responsibility of the user, and not that of the Mechanical Engineering Department to ensure that data is backed up.
- Compromised Computers: Please note that all compromised computers will immediately be removed from the network. Generally, they are only allowed back on the network after the OS and all software packages have been reinstalled.
- Valid IP Address Required: Please note a computer that has not requested an IP Address from the DHCP server within a 10 week period may be removed from the server, a new request will be required to be placed back on the Mechanical Engineering Network.
By proceeding submiting with this application I have read all the points listed above and implemented them on my computer, and I agree to follow all Computing & Network Security Policies.