Our alumni and friends provide essential support for the Department of Mechanical Engineering's teaching programs and research enterprise. The Department benefits from annual unrestricted support and major gifts designated for special purposes. Your generosity plays a critical role in our ability to fulfill our mission and is truly appreciated. Every gift counts.
How to Give
Where to Give
We invite you to be a part of the Department’s success in educating the next generation of leaders by making a gift to the Department either on-line, via mail, or by phone.
How to Give
Unrestricted gifts to the department can be made by credit card through our online giving form. Please select “Mechanical Engineering” from the drop-down menu.
To make a gift by mail (via check or credit card) or to designate your gift to a specific purpose, please fill out the downloadable form and return to:
Engineering and the Sciences Development
UC Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-6035
You may also make a credit card gift by phone by contacting Beth Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
Many employers sponsor corporate matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions that their employees or spouses make. Matching gift programs can double or possibly triple your donation. Please obtain your company’s matching gift form and return it with your contribution.
For information about making a contribution via wire transfer or gifts of securities, please contact Beth Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
For information about making a gift through planned giving vehicles such as charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, gift annuities, bequests, or other vehicles please visit UC Santa Barbara’s Planned Giving website or contact Christopher Pizzinat at 805-893-5126 or chris [dot] pizzinat [at] ia [dot] ucsb [dot] edu.
At the heart of any great institution are the people whose vision and talent define it. In the College of Engineering, we seek funding that will enable us to attract and retain world-class scholars and the most promising students.
There are many giving opportunities within the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Listed below are the current giving priorities of the Department and examples of how your donation can be directed. To customize your gift or learn more about the opportunities available, please contact Beth Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
Unrestricted gifts to the Department are designated to the highest priority needs by the Department Chair. This flexible funding allows the Department to seize new opportunities that emerge as well as support the existing outstanding students, faculty, programs and research.
- Create top-notch learning programs for undergraduates
- Support and reward the research endeavors of our very best students
- Facilitate cutting edge research efforts that move both technology and engineering forward
- Attract and hire the most competitively recruited engineers at every stage of their careers
- Support the best and brightest graduate students in their pursuit of a Ph.D. degree
- Bring distinguished lecturers to the Department to the benefit of both faculty and students
- Outfit and equip laboratories where faculty and students of all levels can interact
The strength of a university department is often evaluated on the quality of its students and the research in which they are engaged. Our ability to recruit and retain the very best scholars is essential to the success of the Department. Education is at the core of our mission and your support of the outstanding undergraduates and graduates within the Department is instrumental in our ability to educate the next generation of leaders whose future endeavors will have a profound impact on society.
Undergraduate scholarship support allows the Department to recognize outstanding undergraduate students for their excellence in course work and research. Contributions at any level are greatly appreciated and allow us to honor exceptional students within the Department. For information on how you can support undergraduate students, please contact Beth Ptalis Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
- Named Endowed Scholarship
- A gift of $20,000 or more establishes a permanent named scholarship.
- Named Scholarship Award
- A gift of $1,000 or more establishes a one-year named award.
Graduate fellowship support is a high priority of the Department as it enables us to compete with the very best universities in the Nation to recruit and retain top scholars. For information on how you can support graduate students, please contact Beth Ptalis Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
- Named Endowed Fellowship
- A gift of $200,000 or more establishes a permanent named fellowship.
- Named Quarter Fellowship
- A gift of $10,000 will fully support a graduate student for one-quarter of their career.
- This type of fellowship is extremely helpful for graduate students as it allows them to take a quarter off from teaching and focus solely on their research and dissertation.
- Named Full-Year Fellowship
- A gift of $50,000 or more fully supports a graduate student for one-year of their career.
- Named Fellowship Award
- A gift of $5,000 or more establishes a one-year named award which allows the Department to offer supplemental incentive (top-off) support for the recruitment or retention of an outstanding graduate student.
Endowed Chairs honor, encourage, and support the professors whose brilliant minds and commitment to education and research promote the University’s mission. An endowed chair is the most significant honor the University can offer to faculty, by way of a donor’s generosity. Holders of endowed chairs represent the most distinguished scholars who are selected for brilliant scholarship, inspirational teaching, and leadership. An endowed chair is a permanent endowment created by a philanthropic gift that supports the teaching and research of the scholar. A gift of $500,000 or more will support the creation of a new endowed chair and will provide a legacy for the donor on the UC Santa Barbara campus. For more information please contact Beth Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
Lecture series provide the Department with the opportunity to bring internationally recognized scholars to UC Santa Barbara. The visiting scholars are invited to participate with faculty and students within the Department through a formal lecture presented to the campus and local community, presentations in undergraduate and graduate level classes, and informal, small group discussions. Lecture series enable the Department to provide an exceptional learning environment for students that augments the general curriculum while raising the profile of the Department by attracting preeminent scholars in a particular field. These lectures are made possibly by the generosity of our donors and the funds allow us to attract distinguished scholars to our campus and to maximize the impact of their visit to UC Santa Barbara. For more information on how you can support a distinguished lecture series, please contact Beth Hough at 805-893-5198 or beth [dot] hough [at] ucsb [dot] edu.
Endowed Lecture Series
- A gift of $20,000 or more establishes a permanent named lecture that can occur annually.
- A gift of $5,000 will support the expenses related to one lecture and can be named for the generosity of the donor.