Mechanical Engineering Program Accreditation and Outcomes
The undergraduate program in mechanical engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012 – telephone: (410) 347-7700.
A graduate of the Mechanical Engineering BS program:
- Should possess a solid foundation in, and be able to apply the principles of, mathematics, science, and engineering to solve problems and have the ability to learn new skills relevant to his/her chosen field.
- Have the ability to conduct and analyze data from experiments in dynamics, fluid dynamics, thermal sciences and materials, and should have been exposed to experimental design in at least one of these areas.
- Should have experienced the use of current software in problem solving and design.
- Should demonstrate the ability to design useful products, systems, and processes.
- Should be able to work effectively on teams.
- Should have an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Should be able to write lab reports and design reports and give effective oral presentations.
- Should have the broad background in the humanities and the social sciences, which provides an awareness of contemporary issues and facilitates an understanding of the global and societal impact of engineering problems and solutions.
- Should be a member of, or participate in, professional societies.
Important Notices for Undergraduate Students
- MANDATORY All 13/14 Juniors must meet with Suzi See before the end of Fall Quarter for a Degree Audit. No appointment is necessary; you can just stop by anytime M-F 8:00 - 11:30 or 1:30 - 4:30.
- MANDATORY ME 12S, Intro to Machine Shop, Organizational meeting for Winter '14, Friday, January 10, 3:00 in ARTS 0249. You must attend to be enrolled in the class.